Guest Post: Saving Your Silver
If you're like me and wear a lot of silver, you have to put in a bit of effort to keep it looking fresh. Today I am pleased to have Sarah from Henryka Amber & Silver Jewellery on the blog, who is going to give us a few hints on keeping silver looking...well....silver. You may remember the Henryka brand from a previous collaboration; they have a wonderful selection of silver jewellery featuring accents of amber, turquoise, pearl, and amethyst. So without further delay...
Top Tips for Keeping Your Silver Jewellery Clean
Hi everyone! My name’s Sarah and last September, my colleague Tariq told you all about how to style your jewellery with your eveningwear. Well I’m here today to tell you how to keep that lovely silver jewellery in tip-top condition.
No doubt we all have a piece of silver jewellery in our collection, whether it’s a necklace, bracelet, ring or earrings, but do we look after them as well as we should? There are all sorts of reasons why silver tarnishes, but it’s mainly down to chemical reactions with things such as dust, makeup, perfume, cleaning products, and human sweat (eugh!). These reactions can turn your once beautiful silver jewellery black and ugly, particularly if you don’t wear them for a long period of time.
But don’t fear readers! Let me tell you how to bring your silver back to its former beautiful state.
Firstly (and perhaps most obviously), you can try using silver jewellery dips or silver cloths. All you have to do is follow the instructions and voila! However, often these products can be very expensive, though to some they will be worth the investment.
For those on a tighter budget, why not try a homemade recipe? I’d recommend first using some of these techniques on pieces of jewellery you don’t mind putting at risk, just in case it goes wrong:
- Gently rubbing the jewellery with some ketchup can bring some of that sparkle back, or simply just washing in lukewarm water with a little soap (make sure it’s phosphate-free!) and buffing with a gentle cloth can work wonders on pieces that are still in pretty good condition.
- If your silver is looking more than a little worse for wear, you could try one of the many baking soda recipes that’s widely available online. However for more difficult cases, I’d personally recommend taking the piece to a good jeweller who can clean up your bracelet or necklace with less risk of any damage.
- As they always say, prevention is always better than a cure! Regularly wearing your silver jewellery and then gently cleaning it after wear is a sure-fire way to keep that sparkle. Try rotating which pieces you wear every week; it’ll keep them in regular use and challenge you to switch up your wardrobe!
- Finally, it’s all about storage. I know I’m guilty of it too, but hanging silver jewellery on gorgeous hangers in your room, while making for beautiful decorations, is not doing your favourite silver necklace any favours. Either store them in the jewellery box they came in, which is made for reducing the oxidisation process that does most of the damage, or wrap them in acid-free tissues.
- Bonus tip: You know those annoying little silica gel packets that come with everything brand new? They’re perfect for popping in the box with your silver jewellery, as they reduce the humidity in the air.
So now that you know how to keep your silver in tip top condition, you’ve got no excuse to not wear those necklaces gathering dust in your jewellery box!
This post was written by Sarah on behalf of Henryka Silver and Amber Jewellery.